Local Fire History

  • 2013: August - Small Hazard Reduction at Waratah Park.
     
  • 2013: January - Large bush fire starting at Towlers Bay, West Head.
     
  • 2012: October - “Long Trail” Hazard Reduction aka Duffys Fire, a large area to the North of Duffys Forest. September - “Wirreanda” Hazard Reduction, Ingleside. August - “Smith Creek West” Hazard Reduction, North of Terrey Hills. May - “Deep Creek” Hazard Reduction, South-East of Terrey Hills. “Sports Academy” Hazard Reduction, Narrabeen. 
     
  • 2011: February - Small fire on the Terrey Hills Golf Course.
     
  • 2009: March - “Wilkins South” Hazard Reduction, North-East of Duffys Forest. October - “Duffys Wharf” Hazard Reduction, the North-West of Duffys Forest.
     
  • 2008: October - “Anembo Reserve” Hazard Reduction to the South of Duffys Forest.
     
  • 2007: January - Mt Ku Ring Gai fires, active for more than 11 days, which were prevented from crossing Cowan Creek into Duffys Forest, Section 44 declared. October - Little Pittwater Bay fire, Section 44 declared, with RFS tankers and fire-boats working together.
     
  • 2004: January - Ellis Trig fire at West Head, lasting four days and burning 1480 hectares of bushland. Section 44 declared, tankers brought in from across NSW.

  • 2001: December - Local brigades sent to Canberra and other fires across the state.
     
  • 1994: Local brigades responded to fires in other areas.
     
  • 1979: A total fire ban and a state of emergency declared.  Multiple fire fronts throughout Duffys Forest, Terrey Hills, Tumble Down Dick, Ingleside, Elanora and Narrabeen over six days.  Water supply failed.  14 homes lost, including 2 in Duffys, and many others damaged.
     
  • 1977: Total fire ban, fires in Towler’s bay, Belrose, Ingleside and Terrey Hills.
     
  • 1971: Fires across North Turramurra, Allambie Heights, Belrose and Duffys Forest which lasted four days.
     
  • 1968: Several large fires across Terrey Hills and Duffys Forest, with houses lost at St Ives.
     
  • 1967: Fires in and around Belrose, with a School Hall destroyed in Ralston Avenue.
     
  • 1965: A fire starting at St Ives showground burnt more than 20 square kilometres of bush, with 200 homes saved.
     
  • 1964: October - Large fire to the North-West of Duffys Forest.November - Duffys Forest Brigade’s first official call outs to a large fire at West Head as well as one at Kinka Road. December - 1000 hectare fire that began on West Head Road and reached the North-East of Duffys Forest.
     
  • 1963: Hazard Reduction at Anembo Reserve, including the area where the Duffys Forest station was later built.
     
  • 1953: Large fires stretching from Terrey Hills to Ingleside.
     
  • 1951: Fires across NSW, claiming six lives. Many houses were lost including six homes within Terrey Hills.
     
  • 1948: Large fires throughout Terrey Hills and Duffys Forest.
     
  • 1947: A local fire burned for three days, attended by the local Brigade.
     
  • 1946: Several small fires extinguished with no loss of life or property.
     
  • 1944: September - Small fires on the properties of local residents, extinguished with the help of neighbours. November - fires across Sydney, with 22 homes lost in the Blue Mountains. December - Total fire ban, Sydney encircled by fire, three lives lost, houses lost at Hornsby and St Ives.  Fires threatened Terrey Hills for three days, back-burning by the local brigade prevented losses as well as help from NSW Fire Brigade, police and the army.
     
  • 1939: Several houses lost in a large fire surrounding Terrey Hills.
     
  • 1936: Many houses lost from large fires ranging from St Ives to Terrey Hills.

 

Brigade History

  • 1943: Terrey Hills Volunteer Bushfire Brigade made operational - equipment supplied by Warringah Council: burners, brush-hooks, knapsacks, portable siren. A Ford flat-top truck owned by the Brigade Captain was used to transport the equipment.
     
  • 1947: A pumping unit, water tank, six new knapsacks and a hand siren were received from Warringah Council. A local resident used their one-ton Chevrolet truck to ship water from the St Ives showground via 44-gallon drums.
     
  • 1950: A new hand-operated water pump purchased with funds, both donated to the Brigade and from Warringah Council.  A 1928 Chevrolet donated by a resident was used as a tanker.
     
  • 1955: A shed to house the equipment of Terrey Hills Brigade, built by volunteers.
     
  • 1956: A Chevrolet Blitz truck with a 3000L tank, pump, hoses and fittings was provided by Warringah Council.
     
  • 1964: Duffys Forest Bushfire Brigade formed. Locally donated funds plus a grant from Council contributed to materials for a station, equipment and a 1942 Chevrolet Blitz which members transformed into the first tanker.
     
  • 1965: Official opening of the Duffys fire shed.
     
  • 1966: A ladies crew was established as part of the Brigade, to help stop the spread of fires before their husbands could return from work.
     
  • 1976: An International AB 160 was issued, replacing the Blitz.
     
  • 1982: Extensions made to the station, with volunteers building a kitchen and a meeting room, with funds from Council.
     
  • 1988: Isuzu tanker issued, replacing the International.
     
  • 1995: Modified Toyota Landcruiser issued to the Brigade as a Category 9 light-firefighting vehicle.
     
  • 1997: Rural Fires Act proclaimed by the NSW Government, legislating the creation of the NSW Rural Fire Service with a continuous chain of command from the Commissioner to firefighter.
     
  • 1998: Toyota Landcruiser issued to the Brigade as a Personnel Carrier.
     
  • 2005: Modified Isuzu truck issued to the Brigade as a Category 1 heavy-firefighting vehicle, including two breathing apparatus units that enable the crew to firefight from within a burning structure.
     
  • 2005: A new Category 9 issued.
     
  • 2010: Bathroom and kitchen upgrade at the station, completed with both donated and District funds.
     
  • 2011: February - A garden established at the station to remember friends. August - Renovation of the office and meeting room, with cabinets added to display historical items. November - The existing Category 1 Isuzu replaced with a newer model with a “halo” installed to spray water on the cabin for firefighter safety.
     
  • 2012: April - Specially trained members of the Brigade deployed with roof kits to assist with storm damage. Recruiting Drive for local members.
     
  • 2013: February - Inaugural Community Fire Unit (CFU) training course conducted at Duffys Station. April - Bush Firefighter course run at Duffys Station specifically to train local residents.

 

References